The wife of embattled Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, Georgina Chapman, has announced that she would be splitting from him.
The last few days have been tough for Weinstein, after the New York Times published a story in which several women over nearly three decades accused him of sexual harassment or unwanted physical contact.
By Sunday, the movie mogul had been fired from The Weinstein Co., the entertainment company he co-founded with brother Bob Weinstein, and four members of the company’s all-male board of directors had resigned.
A ton of allegations have come out ever since the report broke, detailing claims of sexual abuse and included testimonies from Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.
Chapman, who married the Hollywood producer in 2007 and has two children with him, said: “My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time.”
Chapman founded the luxury brand Marchesa, known for feminine, dramatic red carpet gowns, with design partner Keren Craig in 2004.
This was the second marriage for Weinstein, who has three children by first wife Eve Chilton, and the first marriage for Chapman.
The New Yorker quoted a Weinstein representative, Sallie Hofmeister, responding that “any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein”.
“Mr Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual,” said Hofmeister.
“Mr Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”
Weinstein’s lawyer said in a statement last week that he planned to sue The New York Times.
“The New York Times published today a story that is saturated with false and defamatory statements about Harvey Weinstein,” attorney Charles J. Harder said in a statement last Thursday.
“It relies on mostly hearsay accounts and a faulty report, apparently stolen from an employee personnel file, which has been debunked by nine different eyewitnesses. We sent the Times the facts and evidence, but they ignored it and rushed to publish. We are preparing the lawsuit now. All proceeds will be donated to women’s organizations.”
In a statement on Twitter on Tuesday, Hillary Clinton said she was “shocked and appalled” by the revelations about Weinstein. She praised the women coming forward: “Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior.”
Barack and Michelle Obama released a joint statement Tuesday evening expressing disgust with Weinstein.
“Any man who demeans and degrades women in such fashion needs to be condemned and held accountable, regardless of wealth or status. We should celebrate the courage of women who have come forward to tell these painful stories,” the statement said.