Nintendo has officially confirmed a movie for its greatest creation, Super Mario.
The company made the announcement on Twitter, with Nintendo developer Shigeru Miyamoto and Despicable Me producer Chris Meledandri as co-producers.
Nintendo and Illumination are partnering on a movie starring Mario, co-produced by Shigeru Miyamoto and Chris Meledandri! pic.twitter.com/wVRPLIzcGJ
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) February 1, 2018
“People have told me making games is similar to making movies and I’ve been flattered by people saying things like ‘If you can make a game, you can make a movie’,” Miyamoto told reporters in Tokyo.
“But they are totally different,” said the creator who has some previous experience in directing short movies. “One is interactive and the other is a passive experience,” he said, noting film-making requires film-making experts and Meledandri was an “experienced producer.”
In the past decade, Meledandri has produced the “Despicable Me” series, “The Secret Life of Pets” and other box-office hits.
“I got along with him. But it took more than two years to make an announcement since we agreed to do something together,” he said.
Miyamoto said he and Meledandri had already made progress in production though the release date is yet to be fixed. He said they would scrap the project if they decided they were unable to make an “entertaining” film, he said. “We’ve already discussed its script many times and have made quite a lot of progress … between the two of us,” he said.