2017 is about to end, and it’s been a year of really, really amazing music in Nigeria.
In this 5-post series, we’ll be looking at the 50 of the biggest songs to have a created a buzz in Nigeria in 2017. Both on radio and social media, people couldn’t stop playing and talking about these songs.
Let the countdown begin!
50. Lil Kesh – No Fake Love: Lil Kesh caused a stir earlier this year when he revealed he was done with music and was going into business. While he still released a couple of songs during the year, none stuck with us more than No Fake Love.
49. Dice Ailes – Otedola: Though it has earned his fair of criticism from music purists for being an extremely lazy song, Dice Ailes’ Otedola ends 2017 as one of the hits of the season. Everyone wanna be Otedola with the money, you know.
48. Burna Boy – Hallelujah: Burna Boy had a quiet start to his 2017, even though he’s made up for it by dropping about 5 songs in the past 1-2 months. His strongest work this year however remains his gospel-esque thank you, Hallelujah.
47. Reekado Banks – Move feat. Vanessa Mdee: Reekado Banks released videos for some hits off his Spotlight album this year, and Move with Tanzanian singer Vanessa Mdee was a hit all the way.
46. Tekno – Samantha: The first of many Tekno songs in our round up, the reason why this song isn’t higher is probably because he never released a video for it.
45. Reminisce – Ponmile: Reminisce’s biggest hit of the year, Ponmile struck a chord with fans because of its unique message about emotional male vulnerability.
44. L.A.X. – Run Away: L.A.X has always had the ability to drop hits on us (remember Caro?), and he drops another massive one with Run Away. A remix with Wande Coal didn’t quite fly, but we loved the song still.
43. Olamide – Summer Body feat. Davido: Olamide’s summer bop suprisingly didn’t resonate with fans as much as expected (maybe because many didn’t have summer bodies). Still, it’s hard to stop an Olamide jam for blowing up.
42. Wizkid – African Bad Gyal feat. Chris Brown: The first song released off Wizkid’s Sounds From The Other Side EP, many people were crazy for a Wizkid and Chris Brown collaboration. It was a tad underwhelming, but the gigantic star power on the song pushed it through.
41. Falz – Jeje: Falz wrapped up a very solid 2017 with the release of a surprise album on his 27th birthday, and Jeje was one of the gems off the album.