The Borno state government has announced the creation of a Boko Haram museum in the state.

The state has been one of the hardest hit by the terrorists, who have killed over 20,000 since they began activities in 2009.

According to the government, the house of former Boko Haram leader, Mohammed Yusuf will be converted into the museum.

The state Commissioner for Home Affairs, Information and Culture, Mohammed Bulama, disclosed this at the sidelines of the 9th National Council for Culture, Tourism and National Orientation held in Dutse, Jigawa.

ALSO: Accident Involving Borno State Governor Shettima Leaves One Dead

The theme of the orientation was “Tourism and Culture as Panacea for Nigeria’s Economic Recovery’’.

Bulama said: “We are going to convert the house of the leader of the Boko Haram sect Mohammed Yusuf where the insurgency all started from, to a museum.

“The place is called Maarcas; we want to build a museum there where all the things that had happened relating to the insurgency will be archived.

“We want to document and archive all that had happened so that our future generation will be able to have first-hand information,” he said.

ALSO: One of the Chibok girls refused to leave Boko Haram. This is why.

The state government is also planning to revive the games reserve in former Boko Haram stronghold, Sambisa Forest.

“Last year, Gov. Kashim Shettima made a pronouncement to the effect that every December 22, will be declared a public holiday in Borno because that is the day the military declared that they had captured Ground Zero in Sambisa forest.

“What we intend to do when stability is fully achieved is to convert the forest into a tourist attraction in order to show the world what has happened.

“Before insurgency, we used to have a game reserve in the Sambisa forest, we are going to revive that,” he said.