24 people under monitoring at an Ebola treatment centre in the Democratic Republic of Congo have escaped, the country’s health ministry revealed.
The patients had to flee when it came under attack by people protesting the cancellation of Sunday’s presidential election in the eastern city.
Ministry spokeswoman Jessica Ilunga told Reuters that 17 of the patients had already tested negative for Ebola, while seven had not yet been tested.
Ilunga said that three patients had already returned to the centre while health workers were in contact with 17 others to coordinate their return.
Health officials have addresses and phone numbers for the remaining four, she added.