Presidency denies Buhari was banned from entering America.
The Presidency, through spokesman Femi Adesina, has denied allegations by Atiku Abubakar that President Buhari was once banned from the USA.
In a recent interview, Atiku had claimed that himself and Buhari were banned from entering the US.
“It is the sole prerogative of America to determine who they want in their country or not,” he was quoted to have said, adding that: “I’m not running away from America. I applied, but wasn’t issued a visa.”
He said the US did not “categorically” deny him visa rather, “they’ve only said my application is going through administrative process.
“This is not peculiar to me. For about 15 years, Buhari could not enter America on account of religious considerations.”
In response, Adesina said: “Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, claims in an interview published Saturday that “for about 15 years, Buhari could not enter America on account of religious considerations.”
This fictive concoction being passed off as truth is mind boggling, coming from a former Number Two man of Nigeria, who should know the truth. At no time was President Buhari, as a private person, ever forbidden from entering any country in the world.
“Rather, the rest of the world has always held Muhammadu Buhari as a man of sterling qualities, strong on integrity, transparency and accountability. The same testimony is still borne of the Nigerian President by many world leaders today.
“It is curious that former VP Abubakar had been asked why he had not visited America for over a decade, something that had been a stubborn fact dogging his footsteps. Instead of answering directly, he begged the question, saying Buhari also had been disallowed from entering the same country for 15 years, before becoming President.
“We hereby make it resoundingly clear that what the former Vice President said only exists in the realm of his imagination. If he has issues to settle with American authorities, he should do so, rather than clutch at a straw.”