A Nigerian teenager, John Ogunjobi, has been identified as the latest person to be murdered in London’s growing knife violence.

Known to friends as JaySav, drill rapper John became the fifth stabbing death in the capital in just seven days when he was attacked on Monday.

He was also the 119th person to be killed in London this year.

Detectives believe John Ogunjobi was attacked by a number of suspects amid the murder is thought to be linked to rival drill music gangs – Lower Tulse Hill and the Harlem Spartans from nearby Kennington.

The teenager collapsed in the street and died in front of his devastated mother, with one witness describing her screaming at the scene.

Police were called to reports of a shooting in Greenleaf Close at 10.53pm on Monday. Paramedics tried to save the boy, but he was pronounced dead at 11.41pm.

But yesterday, family members denied John was linked to gangs, stating: ‘He was retaking his GCSEs and was planning to go into engineering.’

A post-mortem examination held on Thursday gave the cause of death as a stab wound, but Scotland Yard is investigating whether a firearm was discharged.

A woman who asked not to be named said: ‘He must have been on his own and that’s why they targeted him. He was stabbed five times, in the heart and in the stomach.

‘John was the youngest of three in his family, he was fun, he had a lot of banter. Everyone in the area knew him as a fun guy.’

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vandenbergh said: ‘I am appealing to anyone who has information that could assist this investigation to come forward and speak to police.

‘We believe the victim was attacked by a number of suspects and the altercation would have undoubtedly drawn the attention of those who were in the vicinity.

‘Did you see or hear anything? If so, no matter how insignificant you think it may be, please call – your information could prove to be crucial.’

Police are urging anyone who captured footage of pictures on their mobile phones to get in touch.

The Metropolitan Police said there have been no arrests. Extra officers have been deployed in the area.