Anthony Joshua is set to defend his International Boxing Federation heavyweight world title tomorrow against Cameroonian boxer Carlos Takam.
Joshua had been scheduled to fight Kubrat Pulev in the fight at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, but Pulev had pulled out due to a shoulder injury.
Joshua’s manager Eddie Hearn revealed that the change in competitor might have a negative effect on him, but added that he was ready.
Hearn said: “I received a call from Kalle Sauerland late afternoon to inform me that Pulev had injured his shoulder and may be ruled out of the fight – this was later confirmed by his doctor.”
“IBF rules state that the mandatory will go to the next fighter in line which is Carlos Takam.
“When the Pulev fight was announced I made a deal with Takam’s team to begin camp and be on standby for this fight.
“When I called them this evening they were overjoyed and good to go.
“It’s a difficult position for AJ having prepared meticulously for the style and height of Pulev, he now faces a completely different style and challenge in Takam – this hasn’t happened in his career before but he is ready for all comers on October 28.”
Takam, a mandatory challenger, said it would be the biggest night of his 39-fight professional career. “I am ready and going to give it all,” said Takam. “This will change my life of course. Just in boxing, not the person I am.”
“Sometimes late notice means less pressure,” said Christian Cherchi, Takam’s promoter.
Joshua boasts an unblemished professional record of 19 KO wins from 19 fights. Takam has suffered three defeats, with one draw and 35 victories in a 12-year career.
Joshua will earn a reported £10m minimum for facing Takam as he tries to improve on his stellar record.