Multiple incidents of Apple’s iPhone exploding have been reported in China, according to the Shanghai Consumer Council.

The consumer regulatory body revealed in a report that it had received 8 claims of Apple’s devices spontaneously combusting while being charged or in use. In one such incident, a woman had claimed her phone exploded and had it replaced by Apple, but the report added that Apple didn’t treat the cause of the issue.

“Apple should be responsible for consumers,” it added, saying that many consumer complaints had not been effectively solved.

According to the Council, many of the issues related to the iPhone 6s.  Last month, Apple had announced a free exchange of iPhone 6s batteries in China, but denied that the issues were a safety threat.

“We appreciate that customers are more concerned than ever about the performance and safety of batteries in their mobile devices,” an Apple spokesperson told MailOnline.

“Shanghai CCA recently published accounts of a small number of iPhones which reportedly experienced thermal incidents.

“We want to assure our customers that we thoroughly investigate any such report.

“We have been in touch with the customers and retrieved these units for analysis.

“As part of our standard process, we do a thorough forensic investigation including CT scans, cross sections, and more.

“The units we’ve analysed so far have clearly shown that external physical damage happened to them which led to the thermal event.

“We treat safety as a top priority and have found no cause for concern with these products.

“We encourage any customer who experiences an issue with an Apple product to visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or to contact Apple Support.”

Apple careful not to follow in Samsung’s footsteps

Apple will be particularly wary of the situation, after Samsung was dealt a huge blow as it had to issue a worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone over similar issues.

Isolated cases have also been reported around the world, including a student in New Jersey, USA, whose iPhone 6 Plus exploded while he was in class, despite the fact that the phone was turned off.